Hairpin grid?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

finalizer
Finale Version: Finale v. 27.4.1.146
Operating System: Mac

Post by finalizer » Fri May 10, 2024 4:07 pm

The hairpins snap to a grid, by default to the beat. Where do I change that? I'd like to make them snap to the half-beat.
Mac mini M1 \ MacOS 14.4.1 \ Finale 27.4.1

bakkumd
Finale Version: 25, 26, 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by bakkumd » Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 pm

I believe the only way you can snap beat attached hairpins to the half-beat would be to create a different time signature.

As an example - if your desired time signature is 4/4, create it instead as 8/8 - displayed as 4/4. This creates snap points on the eighth note. There is no Finale setting to adjust the beat or beat sub-divisions (as far as I know). Changing the time signature in this way may impact beaming as well.

You would need to do this for each time signature in your piece(s)... 6/8 for ¾, etc.

Also - please know that once a hairpin is placed (beat attached or otherwise), if you wish to reposition the hairpin, it will no longer "snap" to anything. To once again have snap positioning, delete the hairpin and create a new one. As long as you hold your mouse down when initially placing a hairpin, it will snap. If you place it, then edit it again, the snapping is lost.

If you are looking to create identically positioned hairpins in a multi-staff score, use the "align horizontally" and/or "Align vertically" option after selecting multiple hairpins and right clicking to show the contextual menu. The other hairpins will be aligned with the first hairpin you selected.
Finale 25, 26, 27, Patterson Plug-ins, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Perfect Layout Gold, Keyboard Maestro, Adobe CS6 - CC, MacOS Mojave through Monterey. NotePerformer 3, Dorico 4, Sibelius Ultimate.