Is this a bug? Spacebar+click to play

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bopeuph
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by bopeuph » Sun May 12, 2024 11:44 pm

Certainly seems like a bug and nothing done purposefully.

I tend to use spacebar+left click on the mouse to begin playback at a certain measure. If I click at the beginning of the measure (which is very easy if it's on the left margin), the playback begins at measure 1. And while it's easy to happen on the leftmost measure of a page, if I manage to click on a barline laterally, even in the middle of a page, it still happens. This can be extremely frustrating if I don't remember what page/bar to hop back to.

This has been an issue at least back to 2014, and it might have been even earlier. I didn't reference Finale playback in the past because when it comes to the majority of my work then (very avant-garde composers), playback didn't help me much.

This can't be a conscious choice of the programmers, right?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun May 12, 2024 11:57 pm

For me, spacebar+click begins playback at the beginning of the measure that the cursor is pointing to, no matter where on the page the measure is. What do you mean by "click on a barline laterally"?

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 13, 2024 2:14 am

Basically, if the mouse pointer ends up right on the barline like this when I click:

Also if I click anywhere from the key signature on left.

In either of those cases, the playback will start back at measure one. It's recreatable on here with the most recent Finale. My other computer has older versions, which I can attempt to recreate it when I'm near it in a few days, but I'm certain it's happened on 2014 in the past.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Mon May 13, 2024 12:39 pm

For me, spacebar-click starts playback with that measure; spacebar-click on a barline starts playback in the measure before the barline.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

RimasG
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by RimasG » Mon May 13, 2024 2:17 pm

Finale User manual says: While pressing SPACEBAR, click the measure at which you want to begin playback.
Win11 64bit, Fin27.4, TGTools pro,
Perfect Layout Silver, Transcribe,
Casio CDP-200R

engelbach
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by engelbach » Mon May 13, 2024 3:10 pm

Is the Playback window open?

The behavior you describe happens with me if the Playback window is open.

If it's closed, the playback starts where I click with the spacebar down.
Jerry Engelbach
iMac OSX Catalina, Finale 27, Note Performer 4, Perfect Layout
www.engelbachmusic.com

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 13, 2024 3:15 pm

What do you mean by "playback window"?

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 13, 2024 3:27 pm

bopeuph wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:14 am
Basically, if the mouse pointer ends up right on the barline like this when I click:

In either of those cases, the playback will start back at measure one.
I see now. I had to zoom way in to get the cursor right on the barline, but I can confirm that if it is, it starts on bar 1, and I can confirm also that if you click left of the staff, it starts on bar 1. As RimasG says, click in the middle of the measure where you want playback to start and you won't have this problem (playback will always start at the beginning of the measure you click in).

I've noticed for years that when "scrubbing" (Ctrl+Alt+mouse movement) that if you cross a key or time signature, it will momentarily play bar 1. I just noticed zoomed in that as you scrub across the barline the same thing happens. It must be the same issue that you're noticing.

Of course, it shouldn't do that, but it's easily avoided with your spacebar+click issue.
Last edited by motet on Mon May 13, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 13, 2024 3:54 pm

engelbach wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:10 pm

Jerry Engelbach,

You are using Mac Finale - right?

What you describe = the difference between {Playback Controls open} and {Playback Controls closed}, is “Mac Finale only”.

The Original Poster (= bopeuph) is using Windows Finale.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

engelbach
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by engelbach » Mon May 13, 2024 4:27 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:54 pm
engelbach wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:10 pm

Jerry Engelbach,

You are using Mac Finale - right?

What you describe = the difference between {Playback Controls open} and {Playback Controls closed}, is “Mac Finale only”.

The Original Poster (= bopeuph) is using Windows Finale.
Ah, yes.

One would hope that the two versions would behave the same.

Oh, well.
Jerry Engelbach
iMac OSX Catalina, Finale 27, Note Performer 4, Perfect Layout
www.engelbachmusic.com

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Tue May 14, 2024 2:04 am

motet wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 3:27 pm
I see now. I had to zoom way in to get the cursor right on the barline, but I can confirm that if it is, it starts on bar 1, and I can confirm also that if you click left of the staff, it starts on bar 1. As RimasG says, click in the middle of the measure where you want playback to start and you won't have this problem (playback will always start at the beginning of the measure you click in).
Yeah, the thing is, it's not intentional; I'm just moving the mouse quickly over to the bar I want to play, and I guess I just tend to bullseye the barline more often than I'd have thunk. Time/key signatures are obviously easier to recreate this, as the offending area is larger. I guess I subconsciously try to click around the first beat of the measure, as if clicking on beat 3 would begin playback on beat 3. :lol:
motet wrote:
I've noticed for years that when "scrubbing" (Ctrl+Alt+mouse movement) that if you cross a key or time signature, it will momentarily play bar 1. I just noticed zoomed in that as you scrub across the barline the same thing happens. It must be the same issue that you're noticing.

Huh, I always thought that was playing the first measure of the current page (I tend to work in page view). Also, is that the Mac control? The same as Ctrl+Spacebar+mouse movement?
motet wrote:
Of course, it shouldn't do that, but it's easily avoided with your spacebar+click issue.
I just tend to manage to accidentally trigger it 4-5 times per session. It does get frustrating if I wasn't mindful of the page/bar number I was working in.

Most of my past gigs were strictly engraving/copywork. I almost never used the playback feature, because with these avant-garde composers, I honestly woudn't know what they were going for, since there was very deep harmonies and a lack of a tonal center. I'm now doing my own arrangements/compositions, so after 20 years of using Finale, I guess I'm now learning the idiosyncrasies of the playback feature.

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27

Post by Peter S. » Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 am

bopeuph wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 2:14 am

In either of those cases, the playback will start back at measure one. It's recreatable on here with the most recent Finale. My other computer has older versions, which I can attempt to recreate it when I'm near it in a few days, but I'm certain it's happened on 2014 in the past.
Ah, finally I know what happens and why sometimes playback starts on bar 1. Now that I know, I think that is a good feature...

Peter
Finale 2009 and 27/German on Windows 10

bopeuph

Post by bopeuph » Mon May 20, 2024 6:07 pm

Peter S. wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 8:43 am

Ah, finally I know what happens and why sometimes playback starts on bar 1. Now that I know, I think that is a good feature...

Peter
I'd prefer it if it was on the left margin rather than right on the barline. I have no clue how I'm so precise (when I miss the mark on other things so very, very often with the mouse), but it happens enough that it gets annoying.

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 20, 2024 6:09 pm

I agree that doing on the barline is in no way a feature.

I think you'll just have to get used to clicking in the middle of the measure and realize that this means the start of the measure, then you'll be fine. I never make this mistake. MakeMusic will likely never fix it.